Fat is an important nutrient source that provides energy to our body. A small quantity of fat is essential for keeping a healthy and balanced diet. It is important to consume healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in our diet. Fats help in absorbing vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, and carotenoids, which are fat-soluble vitamins.
Maintaining a regular heartbeat, regulating cholesterol, providing an anti-inflammatory function, and contributing to the brain and eye development in a developing baby are some of the functions performed by fats. Vegetarian diets contain lower fat content than diets containing meat. However, there are vegetarian food items that have fat content equal to that of meat food items. Some of the healthier sources of fat for vegetarians are:-
- Avocado is a really popular fruit among health-conscious people. This fruit is loaded with healthy fats, fibers, and some important nutrients.
- Avocado contains more monounsaturated fatty acids, less amount of polyunsaturated, and saturated fatty acids.
- Avocado helps promote healthy blood lipid profiles. Enhance the phytochemicals from the fruit and bioavailability of fat-soluble vitamins.
- Chia seeds bring rich heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids from a plant-based source. These also provide protein, iron, fiber, calcium, and antioxidants.
- It promotes a lower omega-6 to omega-3 ratio as they are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. This low ratio lowers the risk of heart disease, cancer, inflammatory diseases, and premature death.
- Nuts are the source of healthy fats, fibers, antioxidants, vitamins, and phytosterols.
- These help to prevent cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
- It is rich in more monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids than saturated fatty acids.
- Tofu is an important source of protein that vegetarians can include in their diet.
- A good source of monounsaturated as well as polyunsaturated fats, which is a plant-based product.
- It is used as meat substitutes like tofu sausages and tofu burgers.
- Yogurt is rich in protein sources. The total protein content in commercial yogurt is more than milk, as a small amount of milk is added to it during processing.
- Saturated fats are the most in it but also contain a fair amount of monounsaturated fat.
- Consuming yogurt in a daily diet can reduce obesity and improve heart health.
- Dark chocolates are rich in nutrient content, which makes you healthier.
- It also contains some flavonoid antioxidants.
- It improves your health and can lower the risk of heart diseases.
Healthy fats are an important part of our food diet. Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are good for our body as it keeps your overall health well. Omega-3 and omega-6 are important polyunsaturated fats that we need to include in our diet. Saturated and hydrogenated fats harm our health like weight gain associated with diabetes and raise blood cholesterol levels, which is more in animal products.
Healthier unsaturated fats are mainly found from plant sources like fruits, seeds, nuts, and veggies. Unsaturated fat provides the ability to lower blood cholesterol levels and blood clotting. So, we must include the food items mentioned above in our diet for consuming healthier fats.